Monday, March 06, 2006

School Choice

From my Orange County Register piece:

According to a recent newspaper story, tuition at some of the most elite private schools in Los Angeles County has hit $25,000.

Harvard-Westlake, the high school I graduated from in 1995, looks like a bargain by comparison at only $23,850 per student next year. Perhaps the $1,150 in savings can be given as gas money to the teenagers who have to make the journey to the Studio City campus from as far away as Malibu. Parental stories of trekking miles to school in the snow will soon be replaced by even-harder-to-believe stories like my own: driving through four different ZIP codes to get to school.

7 Comments:

Blogger Steven Rosenberg said...

Are you gonna make me register for the Register to read this?

1:42 PM  
Blogger Steven Rosenberg said...

Hey Aaron, do you know this guy? He used to be our neighbor when we lived in Sherman Oaks? He gave us a really nice indoor palm tree that we still have (over 12 years later).

http://www.harvardwestlake.com/academics/msscience/Biographies/Parivar.htm

10:50 AM  
Blogger Steven Rosenberg said...

The address didn't make it the whole way: http://www.harvardwestlake.com/academics/msscience/Biographies/Parivar.htm

10:51 AM  
Blogger Steven Rosenberg said...

add this after "msscience: /Biographies/Parivar.htm

10:52 AM  
Blogger Steven Rosenberg said...

Also, did the L.A. Times ever run a commentary responding to the private school tuition story? I figured that would be ripe for any number of people to write about.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Aaron Hanscom said...

Steve,

He was my 7th grade science teacher and one of the few teachers I really liked there.

I never saw an opinion piece in response to that article, no.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Aaron Hanscom said...

Actually, I take that back. Most of the teachers I had at H-W were quite good. I was the problem in the equation when it came to learning.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home