Monday, March 27, 2006

La Jolla Bound

Cathy Seipp writes about her daughter's acceptance to UC San Diego, where I graduated from in 2000. Like Maia, I was shocked and ecstatic to learn that I was accepted by UCSD. I would have spent four years in Boulder, Colorado-- and not lovely La Jolla-- had I been rejected.

Maia's first UC choice was San Diego, which was also the last to let applicants know about admissions. I felt terrible seeing her sitting tearfully over the computer, trying to access UC San Diego's busy server the day the school sent out its yeas or nays. The record so far wasn't promising, even though I know she's a good and enthusiastic student who'd do well anywhere. And UC San Diego, where she applied as a Russian/Soviet Studies major, is more selective than UC Santa Barbara.

But she got in. Go figure. And the one good thing about the pit of teenage despair is that it has a flip side: utter teenage jubilation.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I also applied to Boulder, but went to UC Riverside instead. Good choice. Growing up in La Jolla, UCSD is a beautiful place to go to school, and although the campus is dull and sterile, the views are spectacular.
UCSD is very difficult to get accepted at nowadays; way harder than UCSB and about as difficult as UCLA.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Ranando said...

Ari, you're such a stupid fuck.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home